7-Year-Old William Evans-Ellis Found Dead in Closet as Three Adults Face Murder Charges

The death of 7-year-old William Evans-Ellis has shocked Cincinnati, Ohio, after the child was found dead inside a closet in his home, bound with duct tape.

William was discovered on August 6 in an Oakley apartment on Madison Road. Investigators said he had been dead for at least a day when authorities found him. The circumstances surrounding his death quickly led to a homicide investigation.

A coroner later determined that William died from blunt force trauma to the head. He also had numerous other injuries, including a fractured elbow and bruises of different ages, which authorities say raised serious concerns about prolonged abuse before his death.

Three adults who had been living with and caring for William have been charged in connection with his death: his mother, Kaitlin Evans, along with Nessa Keaney and Kirby Rankin. Prosecutors said the three acted as co-parents to the child.

A Hamilton County grand jury later returned a 13-count indictment against each defendant. The charges include aggravated murder, murder, kidnapping, felonious assault, child endangerment and conspiracy-related offenses.

Investigators have also pointed to messages exchanged between the three defendants. According to court documents, authorities found discussions on the Signal messaging platform that prosecutors say indicate the adults had been planning actions involving William and had been physically restraining and abusing him before his death.

The allegations have painted a deeply disturbing picture of the final weeks of William’s life. Authorities have described multiple injuries and evidence they believe points to repeated physical abuse. However, the accusations remain allegations, and the defendants are entitled to due process.

All three defendants pleaded not guilty when they appeared in court following the indictment. They remain in custody while the case moves forward.

The case has also raised painful questions about how a child could suffer serious injuries while living among multiple adults responsible for his care. Investigators are continuing to examine the evidence and communications recovered during the investigation.

For William’s family and those who knew him, the case is now focused on understanding exactly what happened during the final days of his short life and determining who was responsible.

The legal proceedings are ongoing, and the allegations against the three defendants will ultimately have to be tested in court.