NYC Synagogue Worshipper Allegedly Punched, Security Guard Headbutted in Antisemitic Attack: NYPD
A Manhattan synagogue service descended into chaos Friday evening when a man allegedly attacked a worshipper and assaulted a security guard in what police are investigating as an antisemitic hate crime.
Larry Montes, 46, allegedly disrupted Shabbat services at Central Synagogue near Lexington Avenue and East 55th Street shortly after 6 p.m., according to police and law enforcement sources.
Authorities said Montes walked toward the front of the synagogue and began behaving erratically during the service.
Security personnel intervened and attempted to escort him from the building.
But before he could be removed, Montes allegedly punched a 63-year-old congregant in the face, according to police sources.
He allegedly then turned his aggression toward a security guard, headbutting and spitting on the worker during the confrontation.
Police also said Montes damaged two religious candles, which were valued at approximately $20,000.

An NYPD sergeant assigned to the synagogue on a paid security detail ultimately took Montes into custody.
Video from the service that was later shared online appears to show the disturbance unfolding inside the packed house of worship.
In the footage, Montes can be heard shouting while standing near the front of the synagogue.
A loud crashing sound is then heard off camera, prompting a collective reaction from congregants.
Montes is subsequently seen being escorted down the aisle toward the exit while continuing to yell and repeatedly throwing his fists into the air.
Police charged Montes with two counts of assault as a hate crime and one count of criminal mischief as a hate crime.
NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch said she spoke with the synagogue’s rabbi following the incident and was relieved that no one suffered serious injuries.

“I have spoken with the rabbi of the synagogue, and I’m relieved that no one was seriously injured,” Tisch said.
She added that there were no known additional threats at the time and that the NYPD had deployed additional resources to the synagogue.
The incident carried particular significance for Tisch, who attended Central Synagogue as a child.
“I understand the sanctity of this space and its meaning for congregants. Central Synagogue is where I grew up,” she said.
“In joy and in sorrow, it has always been a place of comfort and peace. What happened there tonight is deeply painful. A place of worship should never be a crime scene.”
Tisch said those who were hurt were evaluated at the scene and were doing well.
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul condemned the incident as “appalling” and said she was grateful the suspect had been taken into custody and that no one was seriously injured.

“Jewish New Yorkers have every right to worship openly, proudly, and without fear,” Hochul said.
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani also condemned the attack, saying he was “horrified” by what happened during the Shabbat service.
He acknowledged the fear and pain an incident of this kind can cause for the congregation and Jewish residents across the city.
“Every New Yorker must be able to observe their religion without fear of violence,” Mamdani said, calling the incident a “despicable act.”

New York Attorney General Letitia James likewise condemned the attack and expressed support for the Central Synagogue community.
“The assault during services at Central Synagogue today is appalling and unacceptable,” James said.
“No one should feel threatened in their place of worship.”
The NYPD’s hate crime task force is investigating the incident.
Montes remains accused of the offenses, and the allegations against him have not been proven in court.
Source: nypost
