Five Killed in Michigan Shooting Spree as Massive Manhunt Ends With Suspect Found Dead

Five people were killed in a Michigan shooting spree Friday, triggering a massive manhunt that ended when the suspected gunman was found dead in a wooded area, authorities said.

The violence began in Missaukee County, where Michigan State Police troopers responded to a home around 11:40 a.m. after receiving a report that someone had been shot.

When officers arrived, they discovered three people dead and another person in critical condition, police said.

Authorities identified 39-year-old Chad Hickman as a person of interest and warned that he was considered armed and dangerous. Police said Hickman had fled the property before troopers arrived.

The investigation quickly expanded as authorities discovered two additional victims — one in the woods near Whitlock Lake and another at a separate residence.

The discoveries prompted a frantic search for Hickman as law enforcement officers scoured the surrounding area.

Hickman was eventually found dead in the wooded area near Whitlock Lake, according to Michigan State Police. His vehicle was also discovered nearby.

Authorities have not immediately released details about how Hickman died.

“This situation is heartbreaking for the community and challenging for the investigators involved,” Michigan State Police Lt. Ashley Miller said.

“We remain committed to conducting a thorough investigation and will provide updates as new information becomes available.”

The circumstances surrounding the shooting spree, including the relationship between Hickman and the victims and what may have triggered the violence, remain under investigation.

Hickman also had a previous criminal history.

According to court records cited by The Detroit News, he was convicted in connection with a 2010 case brought by the Missaukee County Sheriff’s Department. The case involved misdemeanor fourth-degree child abuse and contributing to the delinquency of children, for which he was sentenced to one year in jail.

Court documents also shed light on Hickman’s troubled marriage.

His former wife, Katie Hickman, filed for divorce in September 2023 after the relationship had reportedly deteriorated significantly.

A judge later described allegations of domestic violence involving both Chad and Katie Hickman as uncontested in a 2025 divorce proceeding.

Katie told the court that her marriage had been marked by “control, coercion, and fear,” according to the judge’s written opinion.

Investigators have not yet said whether Hickman’s previous history was connected to Friday’s deadly shootings.

The investigation remains ongoing as authorities work to determine exactly what led to the deaths of the five victims.

Source: nypost