Friends Recall Nolan Wells’ Final Moments at Horn Island Party Before His Death

Friends Recall Nolan Wells’ Final Moments at Horn Island Party Before His Death
MISSISSIPPI — Friends of 18-year-old Nolan Wells are sharing new details about the final time they saw the Mississippi student-athlete alive, as questions continue to surround his death following a Fourth of July gathering on Horn Island.
Wells traveled to the barrier island with friends for the holiday celebration on July 4. According to friends who spoke with PEOPLE, the group eventually encountered trouble with its boat, and Wells decided to remain on the island rather than leave with them.
The friends said Wells told them he had another way to return to the mainland. They also said he did not have his cellphone with him because it had been left aboard their boat.
That account has become a major point of discussion as Wells’ family continues to question what happened during his final hours.
Friends Describe His Last Interaction
According to the friends’ account, Wells chose to stay behind at the party because he wanted to spend additional time with a girl he had met there.
They said he appeared comfortable with the decision and indicated that he had arranged another ride back.
Wells’ parents, however, have questioned whether that behavior was consistent with their son’s normal habits. They have particularly focused on the fact that he apparently remained on the island without his phone.
The differing accounts have fueled speculation online, but investigators have not publicly established that Wells was the victim of foul play.

Wells Was Found Dead Two Days Later
Wells was reported missing after he failed to return from Horn Island.
His body was discovered on July 6, two days after the Fourth of July gathering. Authorities initially considered drowning as a possible explanation, but the circumstances surrounding his death remain under investigation.
An official autopsy report has not yet been released. An independent examination arranged by Wells’ family was also unable to determine a definitive cause of death because of limitations surrounding the examination.
His Phone Remains an Important Question
Wells’ cellphone was recovered with friends on the mainland after his disappearance.
His family believes the device could provide important information about his activities and communications before he disappeared. However, PEOPLE reported that the phone had not yet been analyzed because of a dispute over the logistics of examining it.
That has added another layer of uncertainty to a case already attracting significant public attention.

Family Continues to Seek Answers
Wells’ parents have repeatedly called for a thorough investigation into their son’s death and have questioned aspects of the timeline provided by people who were with him on July 4.
At the same time, some of Wells’ friends have faced intense scrutiny and online accusations. Their attorneys have pushed back against what they describe as false claims and have discussed potential defamation lawsuits.
Authorities have not publicly accused those friends of involvement in Wells’ death.
For now, the precise circumstances surrounding Wells’ final hours remain unresolved.
The investigation continues as his family, friends and authorities seek a clearer picture of what happened after the teenager was last seen alive on Horn Island.