Doctor Strange 3 Still Hasn’t Been Announced — But Benedict Cumberbatch’s MCU Future Is Far From Over

Four years after Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ended with Stephen Strange stepping through a portal beside Charlize Theron’s Clea, Marvel still has not officially announced Doctor Strange 3.

That silence has become increasingly noticeable.

Benedict Cumberbatch’s sorcerer was once positioned near the center of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, playing major roles in Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: No Way Home. His second solo movie then earned more than $955 million worldwide, making it one of Marvel’s biggest post-Endgame theatrical successes.

Yet as of August 2026, Marvel’s official movie slate still contains no third Doctor Strange film.

That does not mean Stephen Strange is finished.

In fact, several pieces of evidence point in the opposite direction. Cumberbatch has openly discussed continuing the character, Marvel’s next two Avengers movies are moving deeper into the multiverse, and Multiverse of Madness deliberately left Strange’s personal story unresolved.

The bigger mystery may no longer be whether he returns.

It is where Marvel plans to put him next.

The Second Movie Ended With a Huge Unanswered Question

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness did not give Stephen Strange a quiet ending.

After surviving Wanda Maximoff’s attack, confronting alternate versions of himself and using forbidden magic, Strange suddenly developed a third eye.

Then Clea appeared.

Played by Charlize Theron, the mysterious sorceress arrived to tell Strange that his actions had caused an incursion — a collision between realities that could potentially destroy entire universes.

She opened a portal into another dimension and asked him to help.

Strange went with her.

That sequence appeared to be an obvious setup for whatever came next.

But four years later, Marvel has still not shown audiences what happened after the two stepped through that portal.

The studio’s current official movie schedule instead focuses heavily on the next Avengers chapter. Avengers: Doomsday is scheduled for Dec. 18, 2026, followed by Avengers: Secret Wars on Dec. 17, 2027.

That timing may explain why a third solo Strange movie remains absent.

Benedict Cumberbatch Has Sent Mixed Signals About Doomsday

Even Cumberbatch has contributed to the mystery.

In early 2025, he initially said Doctor Strange would not appear in Avengers: Doomsday, while indicating that the character would be important to what followed.

He later reversed that statement.

During another interview, Cumberbatch said he had been mistaken and suggested he was involved after all — while joking that audiences should not necessarily believe everything he says about Marvel.

That kind of confusion is hardly unusual for the MCU.

Marvel has historically guarded major appearances closely, particularly when revealing a character would expose part of a movie’s story.

What is more concrete is Marvel’s officially announced Doomsday cast.

The studio has publicly confirmed a massive ensemble involving characters from the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Wakanda, Thunderbolts and Fox-era X-Men films, with Robert Downey Jr. returning to the MCU as Victor von Doom.

Cumberbatch was not part of the initial cast reveal.

Whether that absence means Strange truly sits out the movie or Marvel is preserving a surprise remains unresolved.

Secret Wars May Be the Bigger Doctor Strange Movie

Avengers: Secret Wars could ultimately matter more to Strange than Doomsday.

Cumberbatch previously described his character as being central to where the MCU is heading, and Marvel’s decision to place Doctor Doom at the heart of the coming Avengers story makes the possibilities particularly interesting.

There is an obvious reason comic readers immediately connect Strange, Doom and Secret Wars.

In Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribić’s 2015 Secret Wars storyline, the Marvel multiverse collapses after a series of incursions.

Doctor Doom creates Battleworld from fragments of destroyed realities and rules over it.

Doctor Strange occupies a crucial place beside him.

That does not guarantee the MCU will adapt the story directly. Marvel routinely combines, rearranges and radically changes comic plots.

But the similarities are hard to ignore.

The MCU has already introduced incursions through Multiverse of Madness. It has introduced Doctor Doom as the next major Avengers threat. And Stephen Strange remains one of the characters most experienced with the multiverse.

That makes him a natural figure for the crisis Marvel is building toward.

Cumberbatch Still Wants to Explore Stephen Strange

Perhaps the strongest reason to expect Doctor Strange to continue is Benedict Cumberbatch himself.

Rather than speaking about the character as a role he has finished, the actor has discussed having creative conversations about where Strange could go next.

He has said Marvel has been receptive to ideas about future writers, directors and comic-book material that could push the character in new directions. He has also described Strange as complicated and contradictory — exactly the kind of character who still offers plenty for an actor to explore.

That matters because Cumberbatch has now been playing Stephen Strange for a decade.

He debuted as the character in 2016’s Doctor Strange and subsequently appeared across some of Marvel’s most important films.

But unlike Iron Man or Captain America, Strange has only had two solo adventures.

The second movie also expanded his world rather than closing it.

Clea has barely been introduced. His third eye has not been fully explored. Mordo’s story remains unfinished. The Dark Dimension still offers enormous possibilities, and the incursion storyline could reshape his entire understanding of the multiverse.

There is no shortage of material.

The Franchise Is Too Successful to Ignore

There is also a straightforward business argument for another sequel.

The original Doctor Strange earned roughly $678 million worldwide.

Multiverse of Madness climbed much higher, reaching $955.8 million globally.

Together, the two solo movies generated well over $1.6 billion in theatrical revenue.

That does not automatically guarantee a third installment, particularly as Marvel has become more selective about how many movies and Disney+ shows it produces.

But it demonstrates that Doctor Strange remains a commercially proven character.

He also occupies a corner of the MCU that few other heroes can replace.

Spider-Man works naturally in street-level stories.

Thor opens the door to cosmic mythology.

The Fantastic Four can explore science and alternate dimensions.

Doctor Strange sits directly at the crossroads of magic, horror, alternate realities and supernatural threats.

That flexibility could become even more valuable after the current Multiverse Saga ends.

A Third Movie May Make More Sense After Secret Wars

The biggest clue may simply be Marvel’s calendar.

Doomsday arrives in December 2026.

Secret Wars follows one year later.

Marvel has not placed Doctor Strange 3 between them, and doing so now would be difficult without an official announcement already in place.

That suggests the most logical window for Strange’s next solo movie could come after Secret Wars.

If the Avengers films dramatically reshape the MCU — something a story called Secret Wars naturally has the potential to do — Strange could emerge from that event in a very different position.

A third movie would then have room to deal with the consequences instead of functioning merely as another bridge toward the Avengers.

It could finally resolve the Clea storyline.

It could explore what the third eye means.

It could place Strange in the Dark Dimension.

Or it could show him dealing with the personal cost of whatever decisions he makes during the multiversal crisis.

For now, all of those possibilities remain possibilities rather than confirmed plot points.

Doctor Strange Is Missing — Not Gone

Marvel has officially announced the dates of its next Avengers films.

It has officially revealed many of the characters returning for Doomsday.

What it has not done is announce Doctor Strange 3, a director, a writer, a production date or a release date.

That distinction matters.

There is a major difference between a project being expected and a project actually existing on Marvel’s public schedule.

Still, Doctor Strange’s story is unusually unfinished for a character Marvel intends to abandon.

His last solo movie ends with him literally walking into another dimension to deal with a multiversal emergency.

Cumberbatch remains interested.

The next Avengers films are centered on exactly the kind of reality-breaking crisis Strange is built to confront.

And his two movies have already generated more than $1.6 billion worldwide.

So Doctor Strange 3 remains unconfirmed.

But Stephen Strange himself looks much harder to leave behind.

After four years without him, Marvel may simply be saving its sorcerer for the point when the multiverse needs him most.