Dolly Parton Gives Health Update After Missing Dollywood Ride Opening: ‘My Doctor Clipped My Wings’

Country music icon Dolly Parton has given fans a reassuring update on her health after she was forced to skip a major event at her Dollywood theme park.

The 80-year-old singer was expected to attend the Aug. 14 grand opening of NightFlight Expedition, Dollywood’s newest attraction in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

But instead of appearing in person, Parton joined the celebration through a prerecorded video from her home in Nashville.

The “Jolene” hitmaker explained that her doctor had advised her not to make the trip after she became dehydrated and experienced bouts of dizziness.

“I’ve told you before, all my fans, that I’ve had a few little health issues and sometimes I get a little dizzy and I get dehydrated,” Parton said in the video.

“And I’m dehydrated,” she added, joking that her Nashville doctor had “clipped my wings” by telling her not to travel that week.

“So I guess if your doctor tells you, ‘You ain’t traveling this week,’ you ain’t traveling this week,” Parton quipped.

Despite missing the highly anticipated opening, the country legend insisted that things are moving in the right direction.

“All is going well on the medical end of things,” she told fans.

Parton has remained relatively private about the exact nature of her health problems. Earlier this year, she canceled her previously postponed Las Vegas residency after revealing that she was undergoing medical treatments and procedures.

In May, Parton said she was responding well to medication and treatment but needed more time before she would be ready to return to the stage.

She also acknowledged that some of the medications and treatments had left her feeling “swimmy-headed.”

The singer has continued working behind the scenes despite her health setbacks.

She said she is currently involved in several major projects, including the upcoming SongTeller Hotel, the Life of Many Colors Museum in Nashville and a Broadway musical about her life, “Dolly: A True Original Musical.”

Parton’s absence from Dollywood was particularly notable given her close connection to the Tennessee theme park, which she has operated since 1986.

NightFlight Expedition is being billed as a major new addition to the park, with public rides scheduled to begin Aug. 19.

Although she could not be there for the milestone, Parton made it clear that she has no intention of disappearing from the Dollywood family.

“I’ve been wanting to tell everybody about our great new ride, NightFlight Expedition,” she said, before signing off with a message to fans: “You have fun, and I’ll see you down the road.”

Parton has faced a difficult stretch personally and professionally. In addition to her ongoing health challenges, she has been coping with the loss of her husband, Carl Dean, who died in March 2025.

Still, the country superstar has repeatedly emphasized that she is improving and remains focused on getting back to full strength.

For now, Dolly’s doctor appears to have grounded her — but the music legend insists she’s still moving forward.

Source: people