Mother Can Attend 1-Year-Old Son’s Funeral as She Faces Murder Charge in His Hot Car Death, Judge Rules

Deja Coleman, who is in prison, was charged with second-degree murder and cruelty to children after her son was found in a hot car on July 29
A mother — charged in connection to her 1-year-old son’s hot car death — has been granted permission to attend her child’s funeral.
A Superior Court judge ruled that Deja Coleman, 29, would be able to attend Daniel Coleman Jr.’s Aug. 15 burial in Atlanta, according to 11 Alive, Fox 5 Atlanta and WSB-TV.
According to the order signed on Aug. 14, Coleman, who is in jail without bond, would be allowed to be driven to and from the service, the outlets reported. She would remain in custody the entire time.
“She’s not had the opportunity yet to cry for her child,” Tom Ford, her attorney, told WSB-TV. “She’s going to have the opportunity Saturday.”

“I’ve asked that she be allowed to mourn inside the church with family, not cuffed,” he added to the outlet. “I don’t know to what extent the officer is going to accommodate my request.”
PEOPLE reached out to Coleman’s attorney for comment and updates about her attendance at the funeral, but did not receive an immediate response.
Coleman was arrested on one count of second-degree murder and one count of second-degree cruelty to children after her 1-year-old son was found dead inside a locked car, where the interior temperature had reached 117 degrees, on July 29, according to CBS Atlanta.
Authorities responded to the scene after a hospital employee reported seeing an unresponsive child in a locked car at the employee parking lot of Northside Gwinnett Hospital in Lawrenceville. After discovering the child, they attempted life-saving measures, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Lawrenceville Police Department said Coleamn took her other two children to daycare earlier that day but forgot to bring her youngest child inside. She then drove to work and clocked in at 6:55 a.m. Her son had been in the car for nearly nine hours before police arrived at around 3:50 p.m.
During a court appearance on Aug. 11, Coleman’s attorney asked the judge to dismiss the murder charge, arguing that the incident was an accident rather than intentional and that the mother of three was “devastated” by the loss of her son.
“Murder, this is not,” Ford said, per Fox 5 Atlanta and 11 Alive. “A dead child in the car with a wailing mother in the parking lot is not murder. I don’t care what the statute says. It is a mistake, because you have a dead child does not make it a crime.”
Coleman is being held without bond at the Gwinnett County Jail. Her bond hearing is set for Sept. 9, according to WSB-TV.
Source: https://people.com/mom-facing-murder-charge-permitted-to-attend-sons-funeral-after-hot-car-death-12060781