Two Teen Girls Awarded $275,000 Each After Being Trapped Upside Down on Amusement Park Ride

Two Teen Girls Awarded $275,000 Each After Being Trapped Upside Down on Amusement Park Ride
PORTLAND, Ore. — Two teenagers who were trapped upside down on an amusement park ride for more than 25 minutes have each been awarded $275,000 by a jury following a lawsuit over the terrifying incident.
Xitlali Gomez-Salais and Evie Yannotta were riding the AtmosFEAR attraction at Oaks Amusement Park in Portland on June 14, 2025, when the ride malfunctioned and stopped with riders suspended approximately 50 feet above the ground.
At the time, Gomez-Salais was 13 and Yannotta was 14.
Riders Left Hanging Upside Down
The ride reportedly stopped at about 2:55 p.m., leaving 28 people suspended in the air.
Portland Fire & Rescue arrived roughly 25 minutes later, and rescuers then worked to remove everyone from the ride.
According to the lawsuit, the ordeal was extremely distressing. Some riders screamed and cried, while others reportedly vomited or fainted as they waited to be rescued.
Yannotta later described the experience in court as the most terrifying experience of her life.

Teenagers Reported Lasting Effects
Both girls said they experienced physical and emotional consequences following the incident.
Gomez-Salais reported symptoms including chest pain, panic, weakness and difficulty sleeping.
Yannotta reported abrasions, soreness, body aches, dizziness and changes in her heart rate and blood pressure.
The teenagers also said they continued to experience anxiety and symptoms associated with post-traumatic stress after the accident.
Their lawsuit argued that the amusement park had failed to properly maintain and operate the ride and lacked the necessary tools to quickly address the malfunction.
The girls also alleged that riders were not adequately informed about what was happening while they remained trapped.

Jury Awards $550,000 Combined
A Multnomah County jury reached its verdict on August 19, awarding each teenager $275,000.
Their attorney, Michael Fuller, said the families were seeking accountability after the girls endured what he described as an extremely traumatic experience.
Oaks Amusement Park and ride manufacturer Zamperla had denied liability during the two years following the incident, according to the attorney. The companies reportedly acknowledged responsibility shortly before the trial was scheduled to begin.
The two companies will determine how the payments are handled.
Other Riders Also Reached Settlements
The two teenagers were not the only people affected by the malfunction.
Seven other riders have reportedly reached settlements related to the incident.
Oaks Amusement Park also previously filed a lawsuit against Zamperla, the manufacturer of the ride, over the malfunction.
The park said that while it agreed the ride should not have become stuck, it was grateful that everyone aboard survived and emphasized that rider safety remained its top priority.

A Frightening Reminder of Ride Safety
The case highlights the potentially serious consequences when an amusement ride malfunctions, particularly when riders are left suspended high above the ground.
Although nobody died in the incident, the teenagers told the court that the experience continued to affect them long after they were rescued.
For Gomez-Salais and Yannotta, the jury’s award represents more than financial compensation. Their attorney said the families wanted recognition of what the teenagers endured and accountability from those responsible for operating and maintaining the attraction.
After more than a year of legal proceedings, the verdict has now provided the two young women with a measure of closure from a terrifying day they say they will not soon forget.