Nick Kyrgios Suspended From Tennis After Positive Drug Test

Nick Kyrgios Suspended From Tennis After Positive Drug Test
MALLORCA, Spain — Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive for cocaine during a tournament in Mallorca.
The 31-year-old former Wimbledon finalist acknowledged the positive test publicly and said he takes full responsibility, describing the incident as a major mistake.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) confirmed that Kyrgios provided a sample on June 22, 2026, during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca. A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory later detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
Suspension Began Earlier This Month
Kyrgios’ provisional suspension took effect on August 4. While suspended, he is barred from participating in professional tennis activities.
The Australian has not appealed the provisional suspension so far. The eventual length of any final sanction will depend on the circumstances of the case and whether the substance was used in or out of competition. Potential penalties can range from several months to several years.
The positive test itself does not mean that a final punishment has already been determined.

Kyrgios Takes Responsibility
In a statement posted on social media, Kyrgios apologized to his fans, family, sponsors and younger supporters who look up to him.
He said the past several years had been extremely difficult physically and mentally as repeated injuries kept him away from the court.
Kyrgios has undergone surgeries and struggled to maintain a regular schedule since reaching the 2022 Wimbledon final, one of the biggest achievements of his career.
He also announced that he plans to step away from social media and public life for 28 days, describing the suspension as an opportunity to focus on himself and make changes.

Career Has Taken a Difficult Turn
Kyrgios once reached No. 13 in the world rankings and became one of tennis’ most recognizable personalities.
His run to the Wimbledon final in 2022 established him as a serious Grand Slam contender, but injuries have dramatically limited his appearances since then. His ranking has now fallen to around No. 919.
The latest setback comes at a particularly uncertain moment in his career, with Kyrgios acknowledging that he has struggled with the possibility that his playing days could be nearing an end.

What Happens Next?
Kyrgios now faces the disciplinary process under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.
The ITIA will determine the next stage of the case, while Kyrgios retains the right to challenge the provisional suspension.
For now, the former Wimbledon finalist is taking time away from the sport and social media, saying he wants to use the period to reflect and recover.
The case remains ongoing, and the final length of Kyrgios’ suspension has not yet been determined.
