Ohio mom and two partners accused of torturing, killing disabled 7-year-old son

An Ohio mother and her two live-in partners are facing murder charges after her developmentally disabled 7-year-old son was found dead, allegedly beaten and bound inside a closet at the family’s Cincinnati home.

William Michael Evans-Ellis was discovered by police Thursday at the residence, with authorities describing a horrifying scene that left even experienced investigators and medical professionals shaken.

Hamilton County Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco said she was stunned when she opened the closet where the boy was found.

“I just froze for a while,” Sammarco told reporters during a press conference Tuesday.

The coroner said the preliminary cause of death was blunt-force trauma to the boy’s head.

William’s mother, Kaitlin Evans, 38, and her two live-in partners, Nessa Keaney, 23, and Kirby Rankin, 33, were arrested Thursday.

All three are facing murder and child-endangerment charges.

Authorities allege the child endured prolonged physical abuse before his death, including beatings, burns and water torture.

Veteran homicide detective Kyle Smith described the case in court Friday as among the most disturbing examples of child abuse he had encountered during more than two decades in law enforcement.

Smith testified that investigators found evidence of repeated blunt-force injuries involving the boy’s face, torso, back and limbs.

Investigators also believe William may have been subjected to water and burn torture before being left inside the closet.

The Hamilton County Coroner’s Office said the child suffered a severe fracture to his skull, with the bones separated by the force of the injury.

Officials are also investigating whether a weapon was used and said signs of physical abuse were apparent across the boy’s body.

Authorities have not ruled out the possibility of sexual abuse, and the investigation remains ongoing.

Evans, Keaney and Rankin reportedly lived together and were romantically involved while collectively caring for William.

The boy’s other biological parent, who has not been charged, confronted Evans in court while grieving the loss of the child.

“Willie was my life. I trusted you to care for him,” the parent said through tears, according to reports.

The parent also alleged that William had been kept away from them for approximately nine months.

Evans’ attorney, Brandon Fox, pushed back against prosecutors’ allegations, arguing that the evidence could point to another defendant as the person responsible for the child’s death.

Fox said his client’s alleged role was more accurately characterized as a failure to act rather than directly causing the fatal injuries.

The three defendants remain accused of the crimes, and the allegations have not been proven in court.

Source: nypost.com